The Association of International Development Agencies (AIDA) is a membership body and coordination forum of international non-governmental and non-profit organizations (INGOs) hosted by NRC that share common values and a shared interest in promoting quality development and humanitarian programs in the occupied Palestinian territory (oPt).
AIDA aims to be a proactive and accountable network of INGOs which work in a coordinated and coherent way to respond to emergencies or humanitarian crises and towards sustainable and equitable development, human rights, social inclusion, poverty reduction and good governance in the oPt. AIDA works to achieve this by addressing issues that affect member’s ability to deliver effective and accountable humanitarian assistance and development programming.
AIDA supports its members to apply a rights based, gender sensitive, and conflict sensitive approach, focusing on advocacy and policy change addressing practices or violations of international law that create vulnerability and poverty.
NRC, as host agency supporting this Association, has an exciting and challenging opportunity for the right candidate who will play a vital role working with AIDA. We are now accepting applications for the role of AIDA Advocacy and Communication Coordinator.
Role and responsibilities
- Be responsible for strategic advocacy and communication planning support for AIDA members, including policy analysis, reflecting AIDA-identified priority issues within the political, operational, and humanitarian spheres.
- Provide or support leadership, facilitation, coordination, representation and action among or between various actors to allow for more effective and efficient delivery of humanitarian assistance and recovery and development programming in Palestine.
- Support the Secretariat and Executive Committee to engage effectively in the various fora available to AIDA to effect policy change.
- Support the overall strategic planning with the AIDA Membership and will deliver communication products, reports, briefing papers, or position papers as required.
- Safeguard the AIDA relationship to the Humanitarian Country Team’s Advocacy Working group and ensures effective participation and synergies where possible.
- Be responsible for outreach and coordination to local NGO networks to support coordinated advocacy work in Palestine.
- Work closely and in collaboration with the rest of the AIDA Secretariat, the Executive Committee members, AIDA members, local authorities, donors, UN, diplomatic missions, and other stakeholders.
- Other tasks as required by management.
- Stay abreast of political developments and humanitarian trends in the oPt, informing AIDA members where relevant.
- Ensuring sufficient capacity and knowledge to support policy analysis and strategic planning around the humanitarian architecture and operational issues.
- Represent AIDA at meetings with external advocacy targets.
- Liaise with external advocacy partners, to identify advocacy and lobby opportunities out of country.
- Develop a calendar of upcoming advocacy opportunities which can be used by AIDA members and partners.
- Responsible for developing, updating and implementing AIDA advocacy strategies on behalf of the AIDA membership.
- Lead the process of drafting AIDA positions and related advocacy strategies based on priorities identified by the AIDA Sub-Committees and Executive Committee.
- Advising and contributing to and coordinating the development of AIDA positions, managing various communication activities, leading on the communication of AIDA positions amongst key stakeholders including national and international media, and the wider humanitarian community.
- Serves as co-chair and provides leadership and facilitation to the AIDA Advocacy Sub-Committee and the implementation of decisions taken at their meetings.
- Coordinates and monitors advocacy messages and initiatives to ensure impact and that AIDA external advocacy is in line with good humanitarian and development principles
- Updates the AIDA advocacy strategy in collaboration with the AIDA membership and Executive Committee, developing a periodical review and feedback of the implementation of AIDA advocacy activities.
- Increases communication and coordination on advocacy work between INGOs and NGO forums and working groups
- Fosters relationships with political and diplomatic stakeholders, raise awareness about the AIDA advocacy strategy and messages among political stakeholders.
- Ensures effective and consistent communication and engagement with the UN, the local authorities, donors, embassies and other stakeholders.
- Organizes and facilitates AIDA Advocacy Sub-Committee meetings in both the West Bank and Gaza Strip. This will be linked to the work of the Aida Executive Committee and General Assembly.
- Develops strong links and clear ways of advocacy work between AIDA and local NGOs.
- Ensures coordination and division of responsibility with the HCT Advocacy Working Group.
Our ideal candidate
- Master’s degree in Political Science, Development studies, Humanitarian Affairs or related field.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience in advocacy and communication.
- Ability to produce high-quality documents, materials and other communications in English.
- Ability to lead and facilitate meetings and workshops.
- Knowledge of the political, development and humanitarian issues in Israel and Palestine.
- Ability to travel to all areas of Palestine and Israel.
- Desirable knowledge and experience of various tools of information management.
Screening CV's will be on a rolling basis, interested individuals are encouraged to apply ASAP.
- Contract period: 24 months
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s international salary scale and terms and conditions
- Duty Station: Jerusalem, with 20% travel.
- NRC may be required to verify the identity of its partners and to check that its partners have not been involved in illegal activities.
- NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose.