Secours Islamique France (SIF) is a Non-Governmental Organization of international solidarity based in France. Founded in 1991, SIF is a non-profit and non-political organization that intents to help, to bring relief and to protect the lives of those threatened by natural disasters, armed conflicts or by economic collapse. SIF intervenes around the world through operations of emergency relief, rehabilitation and development. SIF provides its help in respect of the cultural diversity, without any distinction of origin, religion or gender.
Position: Civil Engineer/full time
Responsible To: AWS Project Officer
Directly Manages: Nil
Location: Ramallah Office, with frequent trips
Duration: 12 months (extendable)
In the frame of its humanitarian mission in West Bank, the Engineer will:
• Have core role in the programmes department. The key responsibilities are to give a support to the good evaluation, implementation of different types of SIF’s interventions in the fields of WASH, Agricultural, Food security, Childhood, and seasonal activities. This position requires a highly motivated hardworking and responsible person. Other attributes required for this role include flexibility (working days/time and trips).
• Give support to the Projects Officers and ensure a good follow up and monitoring of the projects coordination procedures.
The tasks described here are not exhaustive or limited. Due to the nature of the mission and the organization, the Civil Engineer may be requested to perform further tasks related to his/her responsibilities here.
Ensure technical support and consultancy on ongoing and future projects:
Prepare and review CAD drawings, bill of quantities, structural calculations, technical specifications, list of equipment, etc. as requested;
Undertake technical and feasibility studies including site investigations;
Conduct technical surveys to gather field data and conduct technical need assessment;
Participate in technical evaluation sessions during tender procedures;
Support procurement department in visiting companies and enterprises in order to define material, equipment and supplies costs for tenders;
Support in organizing and participating in information meetings and technical trainings for beneficiaries or other stakeholders when needed;
Review and propose changes to engineering standards, policies, or details;
Visit contractors/beneficiaries on site and advise them on civil engineering issues before, during and after the project implementation.
Follow up, monitor and evaluate the running projects:
Fill the databases and support in the selection of the final beneficiaries;
Help in defining monitoring tools (technical field reports, monitoring trackers, weekly plan and report, etc.), collect data about the progress of the projects activities and the respect of indicators, fill and weekly update the monitoring tools;
Help in defining the evaluation tools (satisfaction surveys, post-evaluation questionnaires, etc.) and fill them;
Manage, supervise and visit contractors/beneficiaries on site in order to ensure the works are compliant with SIF technical specifications ;
Be responsible for checking the quality of the ongoing works and materials used by contractors; and provide the AWS Officer with on time payment requests;
Schedule material and equipment purchases and deliveries;
Regularly meet SIF stakeholders (beneficiaries, partner organizations, Village Council representatives, local CBOs, etc.) in order to collect their feedback and questions, forward them to the supervisor and ensure an answer is given back when required;
Participate in lessons learnt workshops and share recommendation on the improvement of the activities;
Edit and review on a regular basis the work plan and share any possible modifications on time with the AWS Officer;
Report both orally and in written to the supervisor about any special case or particular situation requiring SIF attention;
Help in providing technical information for public presentations (to HQ, steering committees, partners etc.).
• BA degree in civil engineering;
• At least 3 years professional work experience;
• Previous experience with NGOs is an asset;
• Proven experience in building sites;
• Previous experience in agricultural engineering and WASH is also an asset;
• Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines under pressure, and to complete work with high quality and attention to detail;
• Good knowledge of the West Bank context;
• Computer skills: Microsoft Office Pack, AutoCAD or similar;
• Ability to undertake regular travel to program sites in West Bank;
• Working level in English and Arabic (reading, writing, spoken);
• Qualities: team spirit, patient, flexible, open minded, sociable and highly motivated.
Work Area: Based in Ramallah with frequently field visits in Ramallah, Salfit and Jerusalem governorates
How to Apply:
Submit a resume in English only (word or PDF), with a cover letter, including 3 professional references (e-mail address and phone number must be included), and a date of availability to firstname.lastname@example.org. Incomplete applications will not be considered. The email subject line MUST include exact position. Deadline to apply is December 14th, 2017. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Please submit only by email.